Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Advice from Your Grown Kids: Should You Listen?


Should you listen to advice from your grown kids? Heck, I don't know. I have enough trouble dealing with my own. It seems they always have some kind of opinion on how I should live my life. What do they think they are, adults or something? Since when did they get so smart? Have they forgotten who changed their diapers? Worse than that, they're starting to give me the same advice I gave them years ago. Did they think I'd forgotten my own advice? I'm not that old yet.

- Don't take recycled advice from your grown kids concerning things you taught them. Take your own advice. Cut out the middle man.

It's funny when my grown daughter tells me how to drive. Why do I find this so amusing? Who do you think taught her? That wasn't the tooth fairy gripping the dash in the passenger seat. I may not enjoy driving on inner city highways. That doesn't mean I've forgotten how to drive altogether. Been doing it for 35 plus years. I think I've got the hang of it. .

- Sometimes your kids are right, sort of. Seems this piece of advice from one of my grown kids was pretty smart. I decided to listen, but in my own way. After all, this is my life.

Do your kids want you to work out? Mine do. In fact, my youngest has every confidence that I can lose all my extra weight just by working out. Hello. I'm not 25. I'm 59 years old. My hobbies are reading, writing, gardening and binge watching Netflix. I'm not a slouch, but I'm no athlete. I have Lupus and Rheumatoid besides. I'll be OK. I go for walks. She's right about one thing, though. I do need to move a little more. I'm not too proud to admit that.

- Sometimes you prove your grown kids wrong. It feels so great when that happens. Who knew Mom actually does know what she's doing, even if it doesn't seem like it on the surface? Who knew older people were so wise?

My grown kids love my new husband. They think we should stay together forever. Finally, a piece of advice from my grown kids that I completely agree with. They had their reservations at first, mind you. They thought he was too young for me. They had good reason to question my motives. He's 20 years younger. Please don't call me a cougar, I haven't meowed in years. It seems to be working out anyway. He treats me with respect, takes my advice occasionally, doesn't cheat and shares the remote. Plus he's not greedy with the compliments and back-rubs.

- What was that advice they gave me? Where did I put that list? Wait, what was I looking for? Heck, what do I know? I'm just a senile old lady. I better ask my kids for advice.

One day I'll have to listen to advice from my grown kids. That doesn't mean I will like it. I'll be toddling around their homes in diapers, just like they did when they were babies. Who does the dirty work now? Bwa ha ha ha I'll enter rooms not knowing why I did so and babble on about the old days. Wait a minute, I do that now. Not the diapers, but all the rest. Maybe I should listen to the gems of wisdom that come from the lips of my older kids now, as practice for the eventuality. Maybe I'll even put some motivational posters on my wall and go to EDC. Ya, sure, I'll get on that right away.



No comments:

Post a Comment