Friday, November 16, 2018

Loving our new roommates


Now, there's a statement you don't hear often! Once again, things have changed at Grandma's house and I'm loving it. Last weekend, my son, daughter-in-law and baby granddaughter moved in. It's been so nice having them here. The condo they were renting is up for sale, so we invited them to stay a bit while they transition.

My son, Jesse and his little family are happy, considerate, thoughtful, helpful, kind and so much more. It's been a real pleasure having them here. In fact, unlike many roommates, they've made our lives so much easier that I'm hoping they decide to stay permanently.

My son has fixed several things already in the week he's been here, despite his busy work schedule and the long commute. And he does it with a smile and no complaints. It's been hard for Gary. He's working long hours lately. So, Jesse has done a few of the small jobs he couldn't get to and some that I couldn't handle or didn't know how to do. Gary and I are both very grateful.

My daughter-in-law, Casi really understands how sick I am and does something to ease my burden every day, several times a day. I have a rough time driving now, so she has given me rides a couple times. Sometimes she brings me a glass of water or whatever I need when I'm stuck in my chair. Sometimes she cooks dinner for everyone. Whatever I need, she is right there to help. And with 7 month old Chloe to tend to, as well!

We have help with the bills, too and there's always someone here when I need a jar opened! May the miracles never cease!

But it's not just about the help. It's so nice to have their company. There's no craziness, no fighting, no attitude. Just pleasant conversation and a lot of love. And of course, there's that cute little baby to play with. Chloe is equally as calm as her parents and smart as all get out as well. Ya, these really aren't your typical roommates.

I also must mention that “our” Aja, my 15 year old granddaughter who's lived with us since about the age of 9 or 10, is truly maturing. She's attending the small town school here, where she is really shining. She's even being honored at assembly this coming week. She has made a ton of new friends, is learning to drive, does her chores without being asked, helps me by carrying in weekly groceries, keeps her room spotless and has a fantastic attitude. She's such a joy to have around.

And what can I say about Gary that hasn't already been said? The man works his tushie off to put a roof over all our heads. I often wonder what I would have done when Lupus hit me if I wasn't already with Gary. Much as I would love to go back to work, it just isn't in the cards. So, I repay his kindness by keeping the house up, paying bills, doing book-work and just generally making a nice home for him to enjoy when he does have some time off. It's the least I can do.

None of us are picture perfect, mind you. We all have our faults and our weaknesses. It's just that we all understand that and are considerate of each other, especially in that respect. I'm loving my roomates these days, past, present and future. All are welcome at Grandma's house. Whether or not they have the capacity to be helpful. I love my peeps!

No comments:

Post a Comment